Friday, February 5, 2010

Comedy of Errors

Well, I survived the surgery and am back home but it was a comedy of errors and basically everything that could go wrong did.  Fortunately, most of it was easily fixed and dealt with.
It all started on the Saturday before my surgery when my son woke up with vomitting and diahrea...fortunately, I figured he would be OK but wasn't sure about the rest of the family come Monday when I was due to have my surgery.  Myself and my husband were both very anxious and so was my daughter even though she didn't have the words to express herself.
Monday came and I felt OK, my son and daughter felt good, but my husband had the stomach virus now.  We dropped the kids off with some friends and headed to the hosptial.  I was taken into surgery about an hour earlier than I was scheduled, which was great since my husband spent the next 4 hours curled up on the hospital bathroom floor vomitting while I was in surgery.  Unbeknownst to me, my surgery was supposed to last 2 hours but due to severe hemoraghing it last 4 hours.  During that time, my poor husband had no clue what was going on and the surgeon couldn't tell him anything since she didn't know whether I was going to make it or not.  Combine this added stress and a stomach virus and you have one sick husband.
When he finally got to see me in recovery, I'm not sure who looked worse, him or I.  Once they had me stabilized and admitted to my room, he left to go get our son and daughter.  On the ride home, our daughter vomitted all over herself, her carseat and the inside of our car; which in turn caused my husband to vomit also.  The poor man was so beside himself with worry and sickness that it must have been so miserable and I was probably the best off in my drug-induced sleep.
Fortunately, everyone is recovering but now I have the stomach bog which is not fun after having abdomen surgery.  Let's just say if anything could go wrong, it did and even my surgeon said that I should NEVER undergo surgery again due to all of the tissue damage I have thanks to my long-term steroid use.

No comments:

Post a Comment