Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Mommy, come play with us!

My two children generally play together very nicely but every so often I hear the words..."Mommy, please come play with us"...to be honest usually I tell them that I will be there in a minute and then they go back to playing with each other and I forget.  I am often too tired to play with them and I am very fortunate that they have each other as it is like a built-in playdate.  Instead, I often take them to other playdates or to fun places like playgrounds, the mall, the movies, restaurants and that sort of thing.  It is much easier for me to take them somewhere then stay home so I do that more often. 
However, I worry that they are going to look back on their childhood and remember that mommy hardly ever played with them.  I don't mind playing games, building things and coloring but playing the imaginary games really tires me out.  It seems counter-intuitive but it is so much easier to take them out.  I really hope that they don't feel like they are missing out on mommy because I am just too tired to play at times.
I really want to be the best mommy that I can be but sometimes, like today, I feel like my best just isn't good enough.

1 comment:

  1. Trust me if you are taking the time to take them out and let them play you are doing more than most. I have this same struggle. I can't get in the floor, I can't go outside, I can't run around so that leaves me with little ways to really play with them. I also agree with the imaginary play is very draining, you really have to put a lot of energy into it and kids just seem to keep going. I have a friend who grew up with a mother who has SLE, and she is in her 30's now. Her mother is still her best friend. And her mother was sick alot growing up, so I always remember that when I start getting all down on myself and feeling guilty. Sometimes its just being there that counts the most.
    Just remember you really are doing what you can and if you push it will push back.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete