Saturday, March 27, 2010

Obsession or healthy curiousity?

Where do I draw the line between curiousity and an obsession?  My kids seem to be completely engrossed in the idea of heaven and dying.  We are not an overly religious family but do believe in heaven and God and the kids know that when you die your soul goes to heaven but they seem so obsessed with it.  I had a 10 minute conversation with my son yesterday about dying and becoming angels and going to heaven.  they don't seem to have any fear of it just a major curiousity with it.
I worry that they are so curious about it because I am sick.  A friend's grandmother passed away due to cancer so they know if you get really sick you may die and I worry that they are so curious about it because they know that I am sick.  Again, they don't seem afraid of it at all.  I worry about it just because they bring it up at least 1 or 2 times a day.  Anyone else out there with kids that are obsessed with heaven and dying?  When do you begin to worry about the line between curiousity and obsession?

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure where that line is but about once everyday my youngest brings it up. She sometimes doesn't want to go somewhere because she is worried about me not making it till she gets back. I have strick rule not to promise her anything I can't really do. That inculdes telling her how long I will live for. She is trying to figure out how to deal with this. "Mommy might live a long time or she might not, just like everyone else. Mommy is just sicker than most people but I am alright right now"
    I don't know the right thing to do either but I think it is something ever parents figure out for themselves.

    ReplyDelete