Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Saw a Naturopathic Physician Today

After much coercion from my mom, I decided to see a naturopathic physician today and it was one of the best decisions that I have done.  Thanks Mom!!!   Sometimes, mom's do know best.  Anyways, I met with him today for about 45 minutes and he is going to do a bunch of blood work to see if there is any vitamin/mineral deficiencies or any other underlying causes that could be exacerbating my symptoms.  Along with that, we are going to try two supplements to see if they can help increase the efficacy of the prednisone while bringing the dosage of the prednisone down.  He also told me to loose about 20 pounds and put me on a very strict high protein/low carb diet which I am going to start tomorrow.  It was a very enlightening day and I really look forward to getting started with this.  I figure it can't hurt anything and at best it will help me to reduce my need for prednisone.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I was diagnosed with Lupus in 2003 and I have been on prednisone since then. Been going in and out of hospital due to Lupus and I am tired of taking medication and dealing with side effect of it. Would you recommend seeing naturopathic? Thanks so much!

    Cyrilla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prednisone is such a catch 21 medication. It helps us to survive but it also causes so much damage to us. I fought against the idea of a naturopath for so long but now that I have found a wonderful one that specializes in autoimmune diseases I'm so glad that I did find one. I think the most important thing is to find a good one that will not push you to hard and always consult your rheumatologist prior to starting any supplements.

    ReplyDelete